Michael Samson Contemporary Scottish Artist
Known for Contemporary Scottish landscape paintings and drawings exploring expressive landscapes and seascapes throughout Scotland. Michael lives and works in the North East of Scotland; his paintings record the passing of time and season.
Scottish born, he studied Fine Art at Gray’s School of Art in Aberdeen, then toured Europe on a travelling scholarship with the Royal Scottish Academy. After returning to complete a Post-Graduate Diploma in Art and Design and Masters Degree in Fine Art, he now teaches, demonstrates and exhibits throughout Scotland.
“Our pace of life dictates that we observe our world through a veil, failing to pause and enjoy the depth and colour of our experiences. In producing these drawings and paintings it was my intention to experience each location as deeply as possible; in all moods and conditions, at different times of day and season. I find that completing the work on location expresses the passing moments with rawness; there are few artistic ‘tricks’, just an honest response to what I see and feel.”
To contact Mike about a Personal Commission Click Here
Michael Samson BAhons PGdip MFA
- Selected Exhibitions, Awards and Qualifications
- Scottish Drawing Comp; Paisley Art Institute
- Aberdeen Artists; Aberdeen Art Gallery
- Coopers and Lybrand Ex; (Commended)
- Peacock Printmakers; Christmas Exhibition
- RSA Student Competition -Commended
- David Gordon Memorial Trust Award
- RSA Landscape Award
- RSA, John Kinross Travelling Scholarship (Florence)
- Gray’s Former Students Exhibition
- Bridgeview, Aberdeen Group show
- Gray’s Master’s Show
- Solo exhibition – Bridgeview, Aberdeen
- Marywell Gallery – various exhibitions
- North East Open Studios
- Gallery at Fifty Five, Stonehaven – various exhibitions
- BA Hons – Fine Art: Drawing and Painting
- Post Graduate Diploma: Art and Design
- Masters degree: Fine Art
- Community Art Lecturer with Aberdeen College 1999-2011
- Project Management of Exhibitions for Limousine Bull Artist’s Collective, Aberdeen 2005-2007
- Ongoing development of ‘Community’ projects researched during MFA at Gray’s School of Art
- Freelance art tutoring throughout the N.E. of Scotland and leading of art trips throughout Europe.
- Charity Art Demonstrations for a variety of charities including: Mental Health Association, British Heart Foundation,
- Alzheimer’s Scotland, Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research, Scotland.
- Lloyds TSB Foundation for Scotland, commission for the retirement of Sir Nicholas Goodison.
- Large-scale corporate landscape commissions for Apache, North-Sea
- Various portrait commissions including Donald Runnicles – Chief Guest Conductor with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
- Several artworks in the John Kinross collection of the Royal Scottish Academy of Art